I’m toying with the idea of sharing a Poem Starter a day in April for National Poetry Month. But I don’t want it to be me, me, me! So, I’m looking for children’s poetry books to share poems from. Here are the details:
- Please look at the two poem starters I’ve shared. I will follow the same format with other people’s books.
- I’ll share your name and the title of the book. If I own the book or can get it from my library, I’ll show the book cover, too.
- No rhyming picture books. There are individual poems only.
- Poems have to be pretty short–probably 20 lines or fewer.
- Book must be still in print in paper edition from a traditional children’s publisher.
- If you tell me the book you’re willing to offer permission for, I’ll choose the poem (based on personal taste and poem starter idea I come up with).
- These are poems and poem starters geared toward elementary kids–mostly primary grades, but I’m open to upper elementary, too.
- You don’t need to send me a copy of the book. Just comment with the title and your permission for me to read a poem out loud from the book in a video to appear online.
- Feel free to offer up your specific poem from an anthology (though I’ll use fewer of those).
I’ll see what kind of response I get. If I don’t do a poem starter a day for April, I’d still like to start featuring other people’s poems in my Poem Starter series, anyway:>)
Please pass this along to any children’s poets you think might be interested. Thanks!